Tuesday, April 12, 2011

beets - love 'em or hate 'em

i tried growing beets last year, and i must admit i don't think i quite succeeded.  the ones i harvested were never more than an inch in diameter even though i left them in the ground longer than recommended.  they were tasty, but not big enough really to do much with.  maybe one of these days i'll try growing them again.  until then, i'll have to make do with ones available at the grocery store.

in my experience there tend to be 2 kinds of people:  those who love beets and those who hate them.  there don't seem to be many folks in the middle of the beet continuum.  as for me, i'm in the love them category.  i love everything about them - their deep purple red color, their earthy, sweet taste, even the greens.  but i've always felt a little limited in ways to prepare them.  a few months ago i came up with this recipe adapted from one that i found in Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian cookbook, and now i can't get enough of it.  while i can't guarantee it will make a beet lover out of someone who can't stand them, if you do like beets, you should try this.  i prefer it room temperature, so if it's been in the fridge, i find it's best to nuke it for 20-30 seconds just to take the cold edge off.  the proportions are for approximately 3 medium sized beets (2 to 2-1/2 in. dia.).

boil beets whole, unpeeled (i use a pressure cooker - a great time saving device) until softened.  in a food processor combine about 1/2 cup walnuts, 1/4 -1/3 cup good quality olive oil (it's worth using a really good olive oil since it's not being cooked), a pinch of salt, a clove of garlic, and a handful of parsley.  pulse a few times until it's blended.  slightly cool the cooked beets, peel, and coarsely chop.  mix beets and walnut/ oil mixture together.  that's it.  so simple and so delicious!   

   note: it's important that the chef have a glass of 
   wine while cooking - walnuts, olive oil, and wine:  
   all heart healthy!

   gorgeous red beets

   no need to serve on a plate - just eat straight 
   out of the bowl

4 comments:

  1. Great job with the pictures - I like the glass of wine and olive oil in the background of the first one =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just recently discovered beets, and I love them, so I'll be trying this soon. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ummm, this has become one of my favorites too - thanks to you! I have been surprised that the organic beets are the same price as the conventional at the "safeway"... and the organic ones usually look better : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just tried this - yum. I didn't have any parsley, so I used arugula (parsley : Lauren :: arugula : Liz. Almost), and I added about a cup or so of cooked wheat berries. If I had any sense of smell at this moment, I'm sure I'd be liking it even more!

    ReplyDelete